The November 2016 Knox County Safe Bus Driver Awards
(Thursday, November 17th, 2016) The Knox County Schools Bus Driver Safety Awards were held at Ted Russell Ford, 8551 Kingston Pike.
Here are some facts:
1. There are approximately 375 Knox County School bus drivers
2. They drive 20,000 miles A DAY! That’s like driving from Knoxville to Los Angeles and then BACK to Knoxville – FIVE TIMES…in ONE day. And all in rush hour.
3. There are a lot of drivers that do it right each and every day.
These drivers have been graded with high standards by the Knox County School system, the contractors, the Sheriff’s Department and by school staff.
Andy White, the owner of Ted Russell Ford addresses the crowd.
(From left to right) driver Jean Morris, Wivik the Frog, driver Joe Miller, driver Howard Mitchell, driver Randel Courtney, Andy White owner of Ted Russell, driver Melissa Hendrix, Knox County Schools Transportation Head Dr. Rick Grubb and Knox County Commissioner Bob Thomas)
The drivers that were honored this month are:
1. Randel Courtney, drives bus 9146 at Halls schools for the contractor Rudder. He has driven for 4 years.
2. Melissa Hendrix, drives bus 963 at West Haven for T & J Bus Lines. She has driven for 14 years.
3. Joe Miller, drives bus 125 at the Halls schools for T & J Buses. He has driven for 21 years.
4. Howard Mitchell, drives bus 220 at Farragut schools for BLJ. He has driven for 3 years.
5. Jean Morris, drives bus 35 at the Farragut schools for BLJ. She has driven for 10 years.
Collectively, these drivers have over 52 years of experience driving a school bus!
The awards are sponsored by Ted Russell Ford and WIVK 107.7. They each received a Certificate of Appreciation from the Knox County Schools, a $100 check from Andy White the owner of Ted Russell Ford and a prize package from WIVK. Congratulations drivers and job well done!
There are many great school bus drivers in Knox County and this is one small way we can show them our appreciation. If you have any questions please contact Commissioner Bob Thomas.
Should you or any Knox County resident need assistance from Knox County government, please contact me at:
Bob.Thomas@KnoxCounty.org or 865-309-4364
Seat 10 At-Large Commissioner of Knox County Commission
Chairman, Knox County Cable TV Committee
Chairman, Knox County Disability Committee
Knox County Development Corp Board
Knox County Pension & Retirement Committee
Knox County Parks & Recreation Board
Metro Drug Coalition Board
Dogwood Arts Festival Board
Young-Williams Animal Center Board
American Cancer Society Board
Arts & Culture Alliance Board
Community Television Board
Thompson-Boling Arena Use Committee