April 2016 update
It’s April and a LOT is going on in Knox County!
***SAVE THE DATE! Join me for an Old Fashion “Baloney Cutting” Wednesday, May 11th at Powell Auction on Pleasant Ridge Road. It all starts at 11:30a to 1p with thick-cut baloney sandwiches, Moon Pies & RC Colas. There will be music by the Chillibillies and “Uncle” Phil Leadbetter. Sammy “Barney Fife” Sawyer will be greeting the crowd. It’s all FREE and I will be making an announcement that day. Bring your family and your friends. DON’T MISS IT!
***The Ed & Bob NIGHT OUT in Knox County for April has been CANCELLED! We will reschedule the Karns visit at a later date. INSTEAD…Ed and I will be at the Halls Outdoor Classroom Bar BQ behind Halls HS from 6p-8:30p. One of the highlights of the night will be Ed and me competing in the pie eating contest!
***Join my wife Kim and me as we take to the fashion runway as models for the Volunteer Republican’s Women’s Spring Fashion Show and Silent Auction this coming Monday, April 18th at Buddy’s Banquet Hall on Kingston Pike in Bearden. Doors open at 11:30. The show starts at noon. It should be a lot of fun…as long as I don’t trip! Lunch is $15 payable at the door. Call 691-7807.
***The first monthly Knox County School Bus Safety awards will be Wednesday, April 20th.Ted Russell Ford and WIVK are sponsoring the awards. The presentation will begin at 11:00am at Ted Russell Ford on Kingston Pike with five drivers, who have been graded with excellent marks. Each will be presented a $100 check from Andy White the owner of Ted Russell Ford.
The Smoky Mountain Air Show is this weekend at the Air National Guard and over the skies of the Knoxville Airport. The Blue Angels are in town with shows Saturday and Sunday. Knox County is one of the sponsors of the show that will bring 250,000 attendees to our area. Part of the proceeds go to Honor Air. Additional details can be found at https://smokymountainairshow.com.
The Dogwood Arts Festival is upon us. I am on the Board of the Dogwood Arts Festival and we just wrapped up the very successful Rhythms and Blooms, the three day music festival in the Old City. Now among many DAF events, the Dogwood trails open! This year the Holston Hills Trail is the featured trail for 2016. You can find more details about the many trails here: http://www.dogwoodarts.com/trails-and-gardens/
The Tennessee Football Orange & White game is this Saturday at Neyland Stadium starting at 2pm.
The Rossini Festival street fair sponsored by the Knoxville Opera is Saturday, April 23rd. It brings a taste of Europe to East Tennessee from 10a-9p on Gay Street. There will be four stages, wonderful food and lots of entertainment.
The Annual Vestival South Knox Arts & Heritage Festival is Saturday, May 7th from 11a-7p at the Historic Candoro Marble Building in Vestal. Live music, arts, dance, children’s activities and more!
In Commission news…
On Monday, April 18th at 4pm the Finance Committee will meet in the Main Assembly Room. The regular monthly Work Session will take place in the same room beginning at 5pm.
On Monday, April 25th at 1pm the Knox County Pension and Retirement Board will meet on the 6th floor of the City County Building in the Commission Conference Room. I am on that board and will be present.
That same day the Knox County Commission will meet beginning at 4pm with the Beer Board, regular Commission at 5pm followed by Zoning at 7pm. All meetings will take place in the Main Assembly Room of the City County Building.
Among other items of interest being considered this month:
- Authorizing the acceptance of $24,101.20 from the Cedar Bluff PTSA for the purchase and installation of adaptive playground equipment for students with disabilities. A big THANK YOU to the Cedar Bluff PTSA!
- Approving an annual contract between Knox County Schools and Archer Air Conditioning and J&F Mechanical for HVAC installation & repair for up to $1,000,000.
- Approving an agreement with K & F Construction for additions and renovations to Pond Gap Elementary at a cost of $8,560,960.
- Approval of state aid from TDOT for resurfacing Ruggles Ferry Pike to AJ Highway with an estimated cost of $656,900. Of that amount, 98% to be paid for by TDOT.
5. Approval of state aid repaving with the TDOT for resurfacing Shipe Road from Millertown to Washington with an estimated cost of $245,196. Of that amount, 98% to be paid for by TDOT.
6. Approval of state aid repaving with the TDOT for resurfacing Midway Road from Thorngrove to Kodak Road with an estimated cost of $392,100. Of that amount 98% to be paid for by TDOT.
- Approval of the Knox County Indigent Care Program Agreement for fiscal year 2016-17 in the amount of $3,950,000.
- Approval of a 20 year lease with AYSO for development and use of a soccer complex at Tommy Schumpert Park. This has been delayed a few months so details could be ironed out. AYSO wants to build on the land.
- Consideration of approval for a TIF for the old Regas property on Depot Ave.
In zoning there are a lot of calls and emails concerning a sector plan amendment and zoning change by Dr. Kerri Bentley. The public is concerned this is going to be a rehab clinic that will draw a dangerous clientele. I am sure we will discuss this in great length, but I have no desire to approve changes in community zoning when the residents don’t want the changes.
Should you or any Knox County resident need assistance from Knox County government, please contact me at:
Bob.Thomas@KnoxCounty.org or 865-309-4364
Vice Chairman, Knox County Commission
Chairman, Knox County Disability Committee
Knox County Development Corp Board
Knox County Pension & Retirement Committee
Knox County Parks & Recreation Board
Metro Drug Coalition
Dogwood Arts Festival Board
Young-Williams Animal Center Board
American Cancer Society Board
Arts & Culture Alliance Board